Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Story Time Emergency Plan

I am going to approach this topic from a different direction than Anne did.  If I were sick, there is often only 1 other staff member in the department at the time and they need to cover the reference desk.  It is entirely possible for someone from outside the department to cover my programs if I get sick.  That can be really intimidating if you are not used to working with kids on a regular basis.  For this brave soul who is venturing into children's programming, I have prepared an outline for them to follow.  For both of my regular groups (12-24 months and 2 year olds), I do have a note that says, "If at any time you feel uncomfortable, put on my iTunes playlist and they will all leave happy."

Babies (12-24 months)
  • Song-If You're Happy and You Know It
  • Book-Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell
  • Song-Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • Shared book-pass out board book set and read together
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star sung with shakers
  • Book-Peek-a-Moo by Marie Cimarusti
  • Blow bubbles with bubble gun for 5 or so minutes
  • Pull out beach balls to play with for 5 or so minutes 
My actual written out plan has the words for Itsy Bitsy Spider and Twinkle, Twinkle, as well as the locations of the props.

Two Year Olds
Depending on how antsy the kids are, I start with a song or a story and alternate.  Normally we start with a song. 

  •  Song-Shake Your Sillies Out 
  •  Book-start with the longest 
  •  Song-Drivin’ in My Car 
  •  Book  
  • Song-I’m a Little Teapot
  • Book 
  • Song-Head and Shoulders 
  • Flannelboard
  • Song-Jump Up, Turn Around
  • Flannelboard 
  • Song-Ring Around the Rosie (with the giant scrunchie in the closet)

Notes
  • Use the iPod.  All of the songs are on a playlist called Lisa Little Listeners 
  • Nametags are on Lisa’s desk in a basket.  They get passed out as the kids come in-I sit up front and they come up and tell me their name.  At the end of the program when I pass out stamps, I collect the nametags back.  Every child who attends gets a sticker on their nametag (or just sticker them all if you forget). 
  • The books for the week are on Janet’s desk.  I normally pick the three easiest.  Then I raid my flannelboard files (all of the file cabinets in my office) for 2-3 rhymes.  The files are in alphabetical order by theme.  Yes, there really are 7 drawers of flannelboards.

So how does this work? I have only been sick 1 time in 14 years so it has only had to be used once.  It is easier to have a plan in place, rather than trying to email one in early in the morning while sick.  My boss did have to do my story times and came out of the program with a greater appreciation of what I do.  As long as it isn't the first week, the parents and kids tend to be great about helping out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...