Thursday, August 23, 2012

Flannel Friday-Hickory Dickory Dock

I will admit-I wasn't the least bit creative this week.  I am working on a fall program all about nursery rhymes and found this awesome book called Full-Color Literacy Centers & Activities for Nursery Rhymes, Volume 1 by Teacher Created Resources.  It has stick puppets, folder stories, mini-books, and much more that you can copy, laminate, assemble, and use almost immediately.


Hickory dickory dock
The mouse ran up the clock


 
The clock struck 1
The mouse ran down
Hickory dickory dock
 
My toddlers really like manipulative rhymes like this because they can do the actions and tell the rhyme themselves.  If you add a little extra book tape to make it sturdy, it will last a long time.
 
If you like this rhyme, check out volume 2 of the same title-it is just as great!
 
I am hosting the Flannel Friday round-up this week.  For more Flannel Friday, check out the Flannel Friday Pinterest page.  There is a new This Week board that will highlight this week's round-up.



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I've always felt that Hickory Dickory Dock needs an amazing visual for storytime, and I think this is just the trick. I'll be keeping my eye out for that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea!

    Do the hands on the clock move? I think I am going to tweak this and make it a take-home activity for an upcoming Mother Goose and Old King Cole Nursery Rhymetime outreach program that we are doing at the local YMCA ~ it is for Dads and their little ones.

    This will be a perfect interactive activity to pair with an extended Hickory Dickory Dock rhyme. Thank you for sharing! I am so excited to share it with the Dads!

    ~ K ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay-
      The hands don't move, but it would be really easy to add a brad and to scraps of paper to make hands.

      Delete
  3. I will definitely have to get a hold of that book one of these days! I love that the mouse can move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie-
      I originally got this one and the sequel through our interloan system. When I realized that I was copying the whole book, I added them to my order carts. They are definitely worth it.

      Delete
  4. I just made this. I punched the hole by the mouse's tail so that he actually touches the clock. I used paper clips covered in tape for the hands of my clock so that they can move, and have texture. My staff says I'm killing them with the cuteness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm must be the only dummy that can't find the download. I went to Pinterest Flannel Friday Roundup and still can't find it. Please Help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie-This post doesn't have a download. The pattern is actually included in the book Full-Color Literacy Centers & Activities for Nursery Rhymes, Volume 1 by Teacher Created Resources and I don't want to break copyright.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...